Thank you for chairing a session at the 2019 AMS Congress.
Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the Congress Program prior to your session. You will also find the program details in the Conference App and in the Congress Handbook when onsite.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Before the Session
- All abstracts are available on the congress website and meeting app and contain the information to introduce the speakers with their affiliation
- The abstracts and biographies of presenters,will be available in the Congress App and you will be provided with a printed copy at registration.
- Please go to your session room 15 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters, to familiarise yourself with the room and to introduce yourself to the AV technician. The AV technician will be in the room for the duration of the session.
- There will be a chair table on the stage with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), and a bell for signalling the end of each presentation.
- Advise the presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop.
- Presenters will load their slides with the AV technician in the room.
- Presenters will be asked to sit at the chair table so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation and participate in the panel session at the end.
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
- There will be 2 microphones in the room for questions.
During the Session
- Begin the session on time, announce any housekeeping and ask that all electronic devices are to be turned to silent.
- Please use your phone to keep to time (your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks).
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter and the presenter’s affiliation. You do not need to read the full biography out if time is tight.
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time.
- At the conclusion of the session thank the presenters and hand over the gifts.
- Presenters have 30 minutes to present and 20 minutes has been allocated at the end of each session for panel discussion. See below re the Panel Discussion.